Attend the Medical Device conference to learn how to accelerate new product development. Hear examples and practical do's and don'ts for applying lean methods.
Gain new ideas, meet people who share your interests, and learn how the Bay Area continues to innovate and respond to global competition in the following areas:
- Bay Area medical device manufacturing
- Robotic trends in medical industry
- Robotics in surgery
- Career pathways to the medical device industry
- 3D printing, laser, and robotics demonstrations
- Lean tools and regulatory compliance in medical devices
- Accelerate new product development
- Do's and don'ts for apply lean tools
- "Regulatory Fog" avoidance
The conference includes a 2-hour lunch/tour break allowing attendees time to visit the Design-2-Part Show, giving attendees the opportunity to gain connections with vendors that can assist product development and manufacturing.
This conference is held in conjunction with the Design-2-Part Show www.d2p.com
with collaboration from the SME North Bay and SME Sacramento chapters. Other local organizations that support SME include IEEE-CPMT, ASME-SCVS, ASQ Northern CA Biomedical Division, SJSU BMES, SWE-SCV, San Jose State University, and DeAnza College. For more information or if you have registration issues, please contact the Conference Co-Chairs, Joanne Moody or Hong Xu at firstname.lastname@example.org
Who Should Attend?
The SME Silicon Valley Chapter 098 is hosting an exciting one day conference for people in:
Product development engineers, "makers", designers, manufacturing professionals, technologists, manufacturing engineers, and managers.
- Students and professionals interested in advancing their knowledge in design, prototyping, making, 3D printing, additive manufacturing, robotics, and networking.
- Quality and regulatory affairs professionals with strong interest product design, manufacturing, and medical devices.
PDF to be attached (TBD)
Schedule---this schedule is tentative and subject to change.
8:00 - 8:30 am Registration
Morning Session (8:30 - 11:30 am) - Medical Device Opportunities in the Bay Area
8:30 - 8:35 am - Introduction - Conference & SME SV (5 min)
JoAnne Moody - 2015 Conference Co-Chair, SME Silicon Valley Chapter 98
Bill Browne - 2015 Master of Ceremonies, MANEX Consulting
8:35- 9:00 Trends in Prosthetics (25 min)
Learn about prosthetics trends and helping our veterans.
- Keith Sardo - Area Clinic Manger, Hangar Prosthetics, Co-Owner 17 & M Designs
9:00 - 9:30 am - The Bay Area Biomedical Device Manufacturing Opportunities (30 min)
Learn about the East Bay Area Biomedical network and opportunities for business assistance, technology transfer, education and training, and economic development.
- Dr. Gregory Theyel - Program Director - East Bay Biomedical Manufacturing Network
- Bill Browne - Director, MANEX Consulting
09:30 - 10:00 am - Career Pathways for Workforce Development - A Panel Discussion (30 min)
Learn about the programs to provide technology and manufacturing awareness to our young people, providing educational pathways for job growth in product development and manufacturing.(recruiter: Raya Zion, SME Director of College relations)
- Harry Wachob - President & Founder, Bio2Device Group
- Additional Speakers TBD
10:00 - 10:15 am - Break (15 min)
10:15 - 10:50am - Robotic Trends in the Medical Industry (35 min)
Learn about the new developments and applications in the medical industry.
- Speaker TBD - (recruiters: Larry S. Lewis - President, Phoenix Automation and Raya Zion SME Director of College Relations)
10:50 - 11:20 am - Building Robotics for Medical (30 min)
Learn about the surgical robotics benefits, challenges, and new developments.
- David Robinson, Sr. Dir Systems Engineering, Intuitive Surgical
11:20 - 11:30 am - First Robotics Overview (10 min)
Learn about robotic program innovations that our Bay Area High Schools. How can you help create the future?
11:30 am - 1:30 pm - BREAK for Lunch (lunch not provided) and Design-2-Part Tour, Technology Demonstrations, and Sponsor Interactions
- Interactive 3D Printing, Laser, and Robotics demonstrations available at the conference
Afternoon Session (1:30 - 4 :00 pm) - Medical Device Product Development
1:30 - 2:45 pm - Medical Device Product Development Session 1
Lean tools and regulatory compliance in medical devices
Knowledge-driven methods in new product development
Do's and don'ts for apply lean tools
"Regulatory Fog" avoidance
2:45 - 3:00 pm Break
- Geetha Rao - CEO, Springborne Life Sciences
- Aaron Jacobs - Intuitive Surgical
- Roger Tang
3:00 - 4:00 pm Medical Device Product Development Session 2
4:00 pm Closing and Raffle
REGISTRATION LINK pending